Tuesday 4 June 2013

My Favourite Places in Joburg: Independent Traders Unlimited, Northriding

antiques collectibles
Ah me, do you remember my post about one of my favourite places to go with the kids in Joburg, Gecko Jewellers in Crowthorne? Doesn't really matter if you don't, or if you have no idea where Crowthorne is. The point being (I am getting to it, honest) is that when I wrote it blinking yonks ago, it occurred to me that it would make a good regular posting, places that I like to visit.

You see, not only do I always take loads of photos, which we all like to look at no? The places I like, for some reason, tend not to be the same places other people like. But I know that out there - *prods glass of screen* - amongst you guys, there are those who will love these odd little places I seem to find, as much as I do.

So here's number two in hopefully a series of posts;

If you wanted to find it yourself, Independent Traders Unlimited is on the corner of Boundary and Malibongwe Roads in Northriding. Which is in the Northern Suburbs of Joburg.

For those that can't, sit back and feast your eyes.

Well, okay look I only had my phone on me so if some of the poor quality pics actually HURT your eyes, I'm so sorry. Really.

And I only walked around about one third of the place in my recent visit, so I'll take my camera next time. Promise.

Independent Traders is an Antique Warehouse, a Reclaim Yard. It's a House Clearance Shop, a Thrift Store of immense size.

Clearly, I'm not quite sure what it is but MAN I love going there.

Outside the front of the shop you'll be stopped in your tracks as your eye catches sight of just a hint of what lies in store for you inside.

antiques collectibles
Piles of Boxes and Chests
antiques collectibles
Beautiful old house fittings, like this window I fell for (but didn't buy, in case you wonder)
And then you're inside and I always find I have to stop. To let my eyes adjust from the bright sunlight outside, and to take in all I see and decide where I want to browse first.

Looking straight ahead of me, I see this:

antiques collectibles
Note the stairs, I'll have to do a Part 2 about what's up there
antiques collectibles
To my left, this ..
antiques collectibles
and to my right, this.

Soon, as you'd imagine, I'm darting about all over the place and getting lost but happily so in all the little rooms, nooks and crannys.

Whoever lays out the stock (and I really should find out one day and get to know them) does so with such an art for interiors and display, it's awesome.

And everything's so clean. I swear, down to the tiniest little ornaments EVERYTHING in the shop is always dust free, shiny and clean. How do they do it? It's a mystery I tell you. Take a look why dontcha :)



antiques collectibles



antiques collectibles
Wish my kids were still small enough, how cool is the retro pushchair?
The staff are awesome and there's plenty of them. Hiding silently amongst the shelves and displays. Used to browsers they wait until they hear a cry of "I wonder how much that is?' or "where's a staff member?" to pop out and help.


antiques collectibles
The boys favourite display and I swear, every time we go it's CHANGED!
antiques collectibles
Amongst the stuff inside this week ...
antiques collectibles
The care that goes into each display is AWESOME

antiques collectibles
Ooo I wanna go on holiday with this!

And finally, the old books. Carefully arranged into a library setting using furniture that's for sale also. A lovely place to sit and flick through old pages that smell of pure nostalgia. When the kids aren't with me that is.

antiques collectibles

I'm loving visiting my favourite places with my camera (okay, okay or my phone) and with a renewed eye. One that's thinking of a post. And thinking about you guys and what you'd like to see.

So I hope you enjoyed, if you did and you're local - GO VISIT!

4 comments:

  1. This is fantastic!! Well, until I saw those evil dolls... *shiver*

    Did you find any mannequin parts??

    Hugs!

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valerie! I know, dolls are spooky huh? And .. OMG! They SO had a headless mannequin (what's with the lack of heads?) in a WEDDING GOWN!! And I didn't take a pic. I feel bad now. Next time I go I will take and pic and send it to you. Because, you know, you'd love a pic of a headless mannequin in a wedding gown huh?

      Delete
  2. This place looks adorable! I LOVE the stacks of cases xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scarlett, it IS adorable :) My dream is to go in one day with wads of cash all Richard-Gere-Pretty-Woman like and announce that I plan to spend an OBSCENE amount of money. *sigh* I can dream.

      Delete

Come on in, the waters lovely ..