Wednesday 29 August 2012

Well I Never ... No. 6

Three Cool, Useful or Otherwise Interesting Things I Didn't Know a Month (or so ...) Ago.

 

1. Vinegar can cure hiccoughs. 

 

I know this one to be true, not sure if it's one of those things that only works for some people and I've never tried it on the kids, although I don't see why ..

Anyhoo, when I get hiccoughs, I drop a teaspoon of vinegar down the back of my throat and swallow. Hiccoughs gone. Honest!




 

2. Dogs Bark to Talk To Us. 

Hubby and I were watching a TV show all about the development and evolution of dogs, from wild animals to the domestic pets we know today and we heard something interesting. Wild dogs don't bark. They make all sorts of other noises in communication with each other but in a pack of dogs, all have a keen sense of smell and hearing and generally not much noise has to be made, even when warning the pack of danger. Us humans however are much less aware of our surroundings and our senses are much less highly tuned and to our dogs, we're a bit dumb when it comes to spotting imminent danger. Of course, to our dogs, a squirrel is possible danger so they don't really understand why we don't react to everything in the way that they do. So along came the bark, a noise domestic dogs came up with to communicate with humans and let their owners know what's happening. I like to think of our dogs bark as a "HEY!". As in "HEY! There's a squirrel in the yard. Hey, HEY!!"

Trustworthy? doctoroz.com

3. Ginseng is the Best Natural Aphrodisiac. 

You're going to start thinking I learn everything from the TV, this gem came from Dr. Oz. He was doing a special on Natural remedies and he said that if you ever need a boost to your libido, Ginseng is the best and most effective thing to use. I can't tell you if this one works, Hubby and I haven't reached a point yet when we need to try anything. But I will let you know if we ever do! I trust Dr. Oz, is that wrong? I've never even met the guy ...

And as I've missed this supposedly regular post of mine for a few months, here's a few bonus Chappie Wrapper facts. Decision to add had nothing to do with the fact that Hubby bought the boys Chappies this morning, honest. It's all about you readers, it's all about YOU :)

Did You Know ... In October 1910, Teddy Roosevelt became the first US President to fly in a plane ... The longest a paper airplane has ever stayed in flight is 26.7 seconds ... SCUBA stands for Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus ... On 4th January 2004, 12 year old Charles Jessop became the youngest person in the world to qualify as a master scuba diver ... The Great White Shark is the worlds largest predator fish and can reach lengths of more than 6m and weigh up to 2,250 kg ... South Africa has the oldest meteor scar in the world which is found near Parys and is called The Vredefort Dome.

My kids learn as they rot their teeth ...