Sunday 29 January 2012

Amidst a Flurry of Visitors

I told someone the other day that family and I were "amidst a flurry of visitors" and liked the way it sounded so it became my post. Love sounding like a Jane Austen heroine from time to time. Don't know why, just love the language.

But I digress .... (see?!!).

For those that don't know, I'm a Brit happily living in South Africa but who pines, quite literally, for the friends and family back home from time to time. Who am I kidding, a lot of the time. Imagine my excitement then, that we are having three sets of visitors over from the UK this Summer.

First came my folks, meaning my Mum and my Stepdad, who we've just waved off after a two week stay in Joburg. We had the most fabulous time. The kids adore their grandparents and it'd been two years since we all got together last. WE MISS YOU GUYS!!!!

They're awesome parents they really are. Just the fact that they make the massive effort to get on a plane for an entire day and get over here is enough. They need do nothing more. They do a million and one things more.

Next, due on Feb 5th, are good friends of mine coming over to stay - again, I'm blown away just at the effort one must make to come visit me and mine these days. It's a heck of a lot more effort than popping over for a cuppa or meeting me in the local pub. And it's not their fault, I moved out here!

And if that wasn't enough, at the beginning of March my Dad flies over from his home in Cyprus for a two week hols. People really, you're spoiling us.

More accurately, they're spoiling the kids. And rightly so. If they only see their Grandparents once every year or two, then dagnammit - let them eat cake!! And biscuits, and sweeties, and ice cream. Let them go to the Lion Park and a different playground every day. Let them receive belated Christmas gifts and all the cuddles and kisses their Grandparents can spare, because they can't see each other every day. Much as we'd like them to.

So "next visitors please"! We're loving all the attention, the kids are loving all the spoiling and it's the perfect way to start a New Year and keep the festive cheer feeling going until the middle of March at least.

Amidst a flurry of visitors (just so I can say that again) and loving it.